Monday, February 21, 2011

Well Hello Marc Jacobs...

In my exploring of what Saint Louis has to offer, I have come across many different consignment shops.  However, when you think consignment, add a few $$ to what you are planning to spend.  In the past few months I have found an upscale consignment shop called The Women's Closet Exchange, and it prides itself in selling upscale clothing (I know, I wouldn't put the apostrophe there either, but that's how the sign is). They also have an online store called HollyWhirl. Not only do they only accept consignment clothes from the past 3 years, but they sell by season (spring clothes in spring, fall and winter starting in August), but they will actually say "no thank you" to your consignment if it is the wrong brand(s). Now, I am happy as a clam to shop at a normal thrift store for things like shirts to wash the car in and fun clothes for Halloween, but this is the place to go for stuff to wear to work or a night out on the town. I have already found a great dress and fun pair of shoes at this store, and a few days ago my good luck streak continued.

Meet Marc Jacobs. I found this great dress NWT - that's New With Tags for those non-eBay shopping readers - retailing for $358, and I found it for $80! Even better, it was a size 10 and it fits! I was super excited when I tried it on. The one issue I might have is that it is 100% silk, and really, where can an over-heated hyperthyroid gal where a 100% silk dress? I don't know, but trust me, I will figure it out. In a previous trip to this store, I found a black velvet suit coat, and I definitely think these two will go well together to wear to work.  The pictures aren't that great as they are from my phone, but I wanted to give you a bit of an idea of what it looked like, and all the fun ruffles and button detail on the front. All the buttons are for show, as it has a side zipper.

I do think I have found a nice niche in this store. All the size 4, 6, and 8 ladies come through and tear the store apart, while the size 10 gals are few and far between. I have yet to go to this store and not find something to take home with me. Even the shoes for the size 10 dainty feet are fun to look at. I'm excited to go back and see what they have now that they are selling more of their "spring" selection. Hopefully the good luck continues! Until we meet again.