Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thank You

Why do we say Happy Veteran's Day? It should be called "Thank a Veteran Day" instead.

I was walking through Times Square today, and saw two Marines in full dress blues. They were just walking around, taking in the sights like everyone else. Two Marines who looked so young, they were just boys months or years ago, and now they have been tried and tested. One young man was missing his arm, his friend was missing an ear and had burn marks over half of that side of his face. The people on the streets were all trying to get close to shake their hand, say thank you, and welcome them home from where ever they came back from.

All I could think about was how young they looked to me, and no one should have to go through that so young, if ever for that matter.

I walked away in full tears, thankful for what they've done, and for what millions of men and women before them have done. A million thank you's every day for the rest of our lives would never be enough. I wish I had a hug for every one of them. At least that way they would know at least one person is thankful.

Thank you for everything to infinity, plus one.

Happy Veteran's Day.