Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Thy Bookshelf Floweth Over

I may be a little bit addicted to books. I like books. I love reading books, especially in a series, and because of it, thy bookshelf floweth over.

Between a lovely little secondhand bookstore called Friends of the Camarillo Library, and my new favorite web site http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php, I have acquired a few books recently. According to Kyle, “you have enough books already!” I do have quite a few books. They make a nice pile next to my nightstand. I even have shorter books to read in between the books in a series in case I need to take a break before going back to the next one in the series. I do like books. I like to read books. If I read a book in a series, I have to read the rest of the series. It’s just that simple. If I like the series, then there is a part of me that needs to collect the series. Clan of the Cave Bear – have the series. Outlander – have the series. Good Dog Carl – currently collecting the series. Harry Potter, The Golden Compass, The Chronicles of Narnia…the list goes on and on. I have yet to call in sick to work to stay home to read a book, but I feel the day may be coming.

This brings me to my next point. This is how I know I am addicted because I’ve started to work the system. I’ve actually started going to the secondhand bookstore to purchase books ($0.50 to $2.00 each) not for me to read, but because I know they will trade quickly on the book trading web site and I can get more books I want. If I can pay $0.50 for a book and trade it for one I want that would normally cost me $6.99 in the store, why not?

Another case in point – When I finished reading Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander series book #2), I was physically dejected that I didn’t have book #3 to read. I was still waiting for it to come in the mail from the trade web site, and I thought it would be here by now so I didn’t borrow it from Mom to read. I was sad I had to wait to read what happened next. Trying to keep my mind off it, I went through the stack of books next to my nightstand to see what short book I could read in the meantime, and eureka! I found the third book in my stack. Totally forgot I had it. I literally ran out into the living room jumping up and down with excitement that I had the book to read (much to Kyle’s confusion and annoyance). I sat down on the couch next to Kyle, and started reading. Kyle looks at me and says “Is it that good that you can’t wait?”

“YES, it’s that good. The faster I read, the faster Claire finds Jamie.” (she found him by the way)

Want to know what I’m talking about? Read the book!

No seriously, stop reading stuff on the internet and go read a book!