Thursday, December 05, 2013

37 Weeks Down...OR...21 Days Left!!!

37 weeks! I'll say it, HOLY CRAP. It seems as though 37 weeks overall has flown by, but there have definitely been days and weeks (especially in the early beginning) that have seemed to crawl along.

Now, I believe in Karma, Good Luck, and Mother Nature, and you may as well throw the Softball Gods in there too, although I feel they are in cahoots with Karma and Good Luck. I know enough not to go against them or complain when really I have nothing to complain about and there are definitely others who have had worse. In that spirit, I have had quite a delightful 37 weeks of being pregnant. I have no complaints. I do have sore hip joints at times and problems breathing every now and then, but when I step back and realize I am GROWING A HUMAN, then it all falls into perspective.

I say "growing a human" instead of "having a baby" mostly because to me, having a baby sounds like you are throwing a party. "Hey! We're throwing a party Saturday night, want to come?"  "Growing a human" to me makes all the aches, the discomforts, the hey-I-didn't-know-my-stomach-could-stretch-like-that and everything else all make sense. While I am not one of those mothers who feels "at one with their child in the womb", I definitely can't wait to meet the little guy and get to know him and see his personality. I want to show him the world and teach him everything I know, but at the same time sit totally quiet and just stare at him in awe as he figures out the world from his own perspective. Oh, and play in mud. There will definitely be mud.

While we are talking about it, let's talk numbers. Close friends want to know how much extra weight is in there now? I would love to know how much weight everyone gained and where they started and finished, just because I find it interesting from a learning perspective. When I started boot camp in September of 2012, I was a pudgy out of shape 170. By March 2013, I was down to 150, and that's when we got pregnant. Now, 37 weeks later, I'm up to 187, but feel so much healthier and in better shape than I ever did at the pudgy 170. Doc has approved me to keep going to boot camp as long as I feel good doing it. We shall see how long I can last!

I also believe in putting good out into the Universe, and while I'm not totally excited to show tummy pictures, I am definitely one who loves to look at other ladies' pregnant bellies. In the effort to even it out, here are a few pictures from start to today. Sorry about the messy bedroom, but it is my favorite mirror to use for the pictures. And no, I am not sucking it in or sticking it out in any of the pictures. Ready? Here we go!
12 weeks

17 weeks

  
20 weeks - when we found out the little guy was a little GUY

22 weeks

 
23 weeks...and Toby

 23 weeks on a date with a boy!

 28 weeks at the baby shower in CA

35 weeks dressed for boot camp. Running out of things to wear.

 Decided against the long sleeve shirt as it kept riding up on my tummy. Had to improvise to keep my arms warm in a t-shirt. My latest invention - Arm Socks!

37 weeks - looks like half an egg shell on sitting on top of where my abs used to be.

 Same 37 weeks, just with a belly button sticking out.

 Same 37 weeks again, but the top of my belly has dropped, while the bottom is fighting to stay in place. Little guy definitely has not dropped yet.

Recently we were treated to quite the delight when our friends Ryan and Cari held a co-ed baby shower in St. Louis! They are tremendously generous hosts and have a flair for throwing great parties. They took what little information we had on the theme of the little guy's room - red and blue, letters and numbers - and turned that into a Dr. Seuss themed shower! Below are a few pics of their beautiful home, fabulous food, and lovely decorations! Note - it was in November, otherwise known as Movember, so yes, Kyle has a mustache. Ryan and Cari are also great to have around because they never take a bad picture!! Love those two so much. I can't wait for them to meet our little guy.  I must say, after seeing these pictures, they definitely put how much my tummy has grown into perspective! This is the end of week 33 and the start of week 34, but I definitely didn't feel as big as the dress makes it appear. Oh well! More room for those fantastic cake pops!!

 Ryan, Cari and us. Those two always take good pictures!! Love them. 

 Boot camp people, and yes, they ate all the goodies too!

 Adorable front door decorations

 Table of games. I actually won the price game! My prize? All the baby stuff we guessed the prices on, woohhoo!

The cookie station - which really, how can you go wrong? 

The fabulous cake pops, Thing 1 and Thing 2 style. YUM!!

Thank you so much to Ryan and Cari, not only for the lovely shower, but also for their friendship. They are wonderful people and we love every minute we spend with them.

Until our next adventure, keep on smiling, snuggling, and smelling the world around you.

Big hugs,
Mandi, Kyle, Toby, and the little guy