Monday, March 23, 2009

5 Years = Dinner and a Movie

Actually, we did the movie first, then dinner...

Our five year anniversary fell on a Friday this year. While most other people would rejoice at the ample opportunity to go out on a Friday night, Kyle and I are much more the "home wearing jammies after work" type of people lately.

Last Friday, we were able to sneak out of work a little early, and go see Duplicity at the new MUVICO theater. I am liking this theater for one main reason - you can literally pay to sit in an area without children - not that I don't like children, or anyone under 21 for that matter, but I definitely do not like sitting next to an underage chatty-cathy whilst I watch my movie. For $20 a person, you can sit in the premier seats. This means a dual love-seat, reserved seating where you pick your seat with the clerk when you buy your ticket, all you can eat popcorn, and a $3 voucher towards whatever you'd like to drink. Want a cocktail to take in with you instead of soda or water? They have it. Want to take in dinner instead? They have it, although I'm not sure how much fun it would be in a theater to sit next to someone while you listen to them eat their dinner. The premiere seats are up in balcony, away from everyone else. Basically, as horrible as it sounds, you are paying for good manners. Or at least you hope you are. I am sure there are people out there who will pay $20 for a movie, and then talk right through it, but I have yet to find them. All in all, it was a fun movie experience. Don't know if that is the route I would take every time I go see a movie, but for my favorites, it would be so worth it.

After the movie, we were still a tad bit hungry, even after the all-you-can-eat popcorn. We decided to hit up Cho Cho Sans for a little sushi. Only in Thousand Oaks, can you sit next to a mother, father and two children at the sushi bar on a Friday night and listen to the mother ask to speak to the manager because they changed their teriyaki sauce and now she and her son don't like the new kind. A-mazing. Guess money doesn't always buy manners. In my long 31 years on this planet, I've come to the conclusion that the more money a person wants you to know they have, the less manners that actually come with it. Either way, we had a wonderful light dinner, which turned out to be only half the cost that we paid for the movie. Where in the world does that ever happen?

Here's to a million more years of fun!