Friday, August 22, 2008

I "Heart" the Olympics

Woohoo for the Women’s and Men’s Beach Volleyball teams! As an avid fan watching the AVP on TV on the weekends, I loved watching both teams play throughout the Olympics. Congrats too, to the U.S. Women’s Soccer team for beating Brazil for the gold medal as well!

My heart breaks for the women’s softball team. In truth, winning silver is nothing to be ashamed of. It means there is only one team better than you in the entire world. However, we all know that the U.S. team was shooting for gold, and almost expecting it. Those of us who believe in conspiracy theories originally thought softball and baseball were removed from the 2012 London Olympics because the IOC thought there was no competition. Doesn’t this outcome just prove how wrong they are, and nothing is ever guaranteed?

Dear Mr. IOC (yes, I know it is a committee) - we have power walking and BMX racing, among a long list of other crazy sports, and you kick out softball and baseball? What were you thinking?

Dear Mr. NBC – we all know softball won’t appear in the London 2012 summer games. As much as we all appreciate a live softball game on TV, couldn’t you replay it in prime-time? I did enjoy watching softball at 3:30 in the morning, but if you know it could be THE LAST OLYMPIC SOFTBALL GAME PLAYED…EVER…and it was for the GOLD MEDAL…couldn’t you show a repeat when most of the people in the United States are awake? A little consideration would have been nice.

Either way, I’ve had a great time watching the Olympics. I have put my life, sleep, and sometimes husband (who is very good at sleeping through TV noise thank goodness) on hold to watch these athletes compete, and loved every minute of it. I jumped and screamed and clapped when Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh won gold for a second time. I punched the air and jumped up and down for the Women’s soccer team when they won gold for the third time in four Olympics. My heart dropped into the pit of my stomach when the Softball team lost the gold medal game. No matter what, I’d be the first one in line to give them all a hug and tell them how proud of them we are and they represented us so well.

To help fight the battle to get softball reinstated into the 2016 Olympic games, visit this web site to learn more.

Now get off the couch and get outside and exercise! All this watching sports on TV makes me want to get out there and play!